HBM-ISTHA-I-294 Balmoral Ave to Lake-converted
Tri-State Tollway Mile Post 40.0 (Balmoral Ave) to Mile Post 52.9 (Lake Cook Road)
Phase II Engineering-Pavement and Structural Preservation and Rehabilitation
Illinois State Toll Highway Authority
December 2017–April 2018
Key Team Members
Mahmoud A. Issa, Project Engineer Moussa A. Issa, Structural Project Manager Joseph Glennon, Civil Project Engineer Dan Abraham, Senior Civil Engineer Lisa Buntin, Structural Staff Engineer John Saraceno, Structural Staff Engineer
HBM performed Phase II field inspection, BCR preparation, and preparation of final plans, specifications and contract documents for the following Bridge Numbers(BN): 301, 301CD, 302, 303CD, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 364B, 367, 368, 369, 370. The work on BN 301CD, 303CD, 309 and 310 was limited to the field inspection and BCR preparation. HBM scope of work also included three retaining walls and two noise walls.
Descriptionof Scope of Work
The structures(bridges and walls)are on a 13 mile stretch along the Tri-State Tollway between Mile Post 40.0 (Balmoral Ave) to Mile Post 52.9 (Lake Cook Road). Some of the bridges required overall rehabilitation based on the Tollway’s previous inspections and recommendations. HBM preformed bridge inspections and preparation of the bridge condition report with rehabilitation design plans were completed.
The work was performed as a sub-consultant to HOH.
List of Structures
Finalstructural plans, specifications and estimates were developed for the following Bridges:
- BN301/302: NB/SBI-294over River Road
- BN305/306: NB/SBI-294over Des Plaines River
- BN307/308: NB/SBI-294over Oakton St.
- BN364B: Eastbound I-190 over I-294
- BN367/368: NB/SBI-294 over I-90
- BN369: SBSoutheast I-90 Ramp B (Tri-Level Bridge) over I-294
- BN370: NBNorthwest I-90 Ramp D (Tri-Level Bridge) over I-294
- BN371/372: NB/SBI-294over Higgins Road
- BN373/374: NB/SBI-294 over Devon Ave
Structural plans, specifications and estimateswere developedfor thefollowingRetaining/Noise Walls:
- Retaining Wall TS41.01R,NB: MSE Concrete (M.P.41.01 to M.P. 41.10)
- Retaining Wall TS41.80R,NBR: MSE Concrete(M.P. 41.80 to M.P. 42.00)
- Retaining Wall TS43.25R,NB: MSE Concrete (M.P.43.25 to M.P. 43.30)
- Noise Wall TS42.70R,NB: Steel Post and Concrete Panel Wall (M.P. 42.70 to M.P.43.20)
- Noise Wall TS43.55R,NB(R): Steel Post and ConcretePanel Wall (M.P. 43.55 to M.P. 43.75)